Tuesday, September 1, 2009

When the Doctor says "Dementia"

Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias are not a part of normal aging.  Read more here.

This is the most important thing you should know.  

When I heard the doctor say that my mother had dementia, I thought that she meant normal, aging, memory problems.  I didn't realize that she was pronouncing a medical diagnosis, and I didn't ask for more information, nor did I go home and "Google" dementia.

Five years later,  in July, 2009, when she received a mid-stage Alzheimer diagnosis, I did some research.  What I discovered shocked me.  It also made me very sad.  My mother and I had spent five years on a journey without sign posts or other guidance.  I believe that these years would have been easier for both of us if I knew then what I know now.

If your doctor (or the doctor of a loved one) has said "dementia", here's a place you can start to get more information:Dementia Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment